Where to Take Your Porsche in Thousand Oaks to Fix a Rear Main Seal Oil Leak
By Bavarian Performance Specialists December 6, 2021
The majority of car owners worldwide are no strangers to different forms of car faults, including the more uncommon ones like a rear main seal oil leak. If you own a Porsche, particularly the 996, 997, Boxster, and Cayman models, the likelihood of having or experiencing a rear main seal oil leak becomes higher. This is because it is very common for this type of Porsche model to develop this problem.
The rear main seal is located in the back of the engine around the crankshaft. Its principal function is to keep oil sealed inside the back of the engine where the crankshaft and the transmission converge. When the rear main seal malfunctions, your vehicle loses oil quickly, and it might also be accompanied by visible leakage when your car is parked. If you leave the malfunction unattended, it can result in irreparable engine damage.
Common Causes of a Rear Main Seal Oil Leak
Several factors could cause the rear main seal oil to leak, despite being made with quality materials. Some of the probable reasons why a rear main seal oil may leak include the following:
- Years of Use: Like many other components of a vehicle, years of wear and tear will certainly take its toll on the rear main seal, which often results in leakages. At this point, the obvious fix is to have your seal replaced with a new one by a technician who knows your Porsche’s intricacies and machinery.
- Redundant Crankshaft Rotation: This could also be linked to the consistent use over time. The mechanical parts, seals, gaskets, and fluids naturally become used and worn out as time goes on. This may lead to the crankshaft of the engine loosening out from its usual rotation. Hence, the rear main seal is subjected to leakages.
- Exposure to salty roads: When your Porsche is used especially during the winter season, it often gets exposed to salty roads to prevent ice and snow from building up on the highways. When you drive on exposed roads, the salt is kicked up into your undercarriage where it can erode parts, seals, and components, causing problems later.
- Corrosive effects: This can also be linked to salt and water that often affect the vehicle’s iron parts, including the rear main seal. As time goes on, the corrosive effects break down the rubber and metal, and it begins leaking oil.
Symptoms of a Rear Main Seal Leak
Aside from knowing the cause of the rear main seal leak. It is also advisable to understand the symptoms indicating a damaged rear main seal. Some of the symptoms to look out for are:
- oil stains or black puddles on the road and where you park
- faster loss of oil than usual
When your Porsche develops a rear main seal oil leak, finding the right automobile workshop to get it fixed can be a daunting task. If you are one of the Porsche owners living around the Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, then you have the perfect answer closer to you than you think at Bavarian Performance Specialists!
Bavarian Performance Specialists at your Fingertips
We are experts in carrying out quality repair services for any German-made vehicle, including Porsche. We are known for our skilful and certified technicians, who pay great attention to details regardless of whether the issue is a minor repair or a major one. With our impressive great work ethic and excellent professionalism, your German automobiles are in safe hands. Our state of the art technology puts us ahead of our competition and helps us properly service your vehicle and get you back on the road in no time.
If you live in the Thousand Oaks, Agoura Hills, Westlake Village, Malibu, and Newbury Park, CA area, you can’t go wrong by choosing Bavarian Performance Specialists for your European or German car care needs. We look forward to earning your repeat business for any service or routine maintenance needs. We will maintain and/or replace your brakes, do quick oil changes, check your transmission, and help with engine troubles. Give us a call today or visit our shop to see what we can do for you.